15 October 2020
16pm CEST / 14pm UTC 10am EDT
Transatlantic Dialogue on Intermediary Liability – Part I: The Internet industry speaks with the U.S.
eco – Association of the Internet Industry & i2Coalition – Internet Infrastructure Coalition
invite you to frame the future of Intermediary Liability on both sides of the Atlantic.
Join high-level representatives from the United States and Europe, Industry leaders, and the most relevant associations of the Internet Industry at two dates in the Roundtable series:
- 15 October 2020 –Intermediary Liability – Part I: The Internet industry speaks with the U.S.
- tba – Intermediary Liability – Part II: The Internet industry speaks with the EU
On the Internet, generally, a third party is always involved. Discussions around the responsibility of that third party is a matter of determining liability in circumstances of real or perceived wrongdoing. Right now, intermediary laws, which widely originate in the early 2000s, are being reconsidered in both the United States and the European Union, specifically with plans to overhaul Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act in the United States, and the process of building the Digital Services Act in the EU.
The expert panel will address policy developments on either side of the Atlantic relating to intermediary liability, and how these developments may impact the growth of the digital economy, cause trade barriers, and stunt the Internet’s ability to keep us all connected.
- 16:00 pm CEST
- Welcome & Housekeeping Co-Host: Christian Dawson Executive Director, i2Coalition Co-Host: Thomas Rickert Director Names & Numbers, eco – Association of the Internet Industry
- 16:05 pm CEST
- Lightning Talk Adam Candeub Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and Information US Department of Commerce, NTIA
- 16:15 pm CEST
- Introductory Statements Melinda Clem Board of Directors, i2Coalition / Vice President of Strategy, Afilias Oliver Süme Chairman of the Board, eco – Association of the Internet Industry David Snead General Counsel cPanel
- 16:30 pm CEST
- Open Discussion
- 16:55 pm CEST
- Wrap Up Co-Host: Christian Dawson Executive Director, i2Coalition Co-Host: Thomas Rickert Director Names & Numbers, eco – Association of the Internet Industry
- 17:00 pm CEST
- End of Meeting